Our client is a non-profit organization that design and deploys IT solutions to create a remarkable impact and help the people to live better and healthier lives. The main aim of the organization is to ensures that people affected by conflict can get basic health care that meets universally recognized standards. This may involve assisting existing health services or temporarily replacing them.
The exclusive humanitarian mission of the client was to protect the lives and the dignity of the victims. To prevent sufferings the client has even promoted and strengthened humanitarian laws and universal humanitarian principles. They were looking for a solution that can showcase :
Management Capabilities: Help their staff and local institutions (hospitals/polyclinics) to strengthen the management system
Plans: To improve the plans of the national physical rehabilitation sector
Education: Enhance the skills and knowledge of the staff and physical rehabilitation professionals
Access to service: Capitalize on synergies with the partners to access to services and facilitate their social inclusion
Quality of Services: Help the staff and the hospitals/polyclinics to improve the quality of their services
We as implementation consultants have analyzed the requirement and outlined the modules of the system. A system with unique combination of hardware and software will help the client to go anywhere and establish clinics with all essentials. For the implementation of the system, OpenMRS was opted as the base platform. A team of developers owing prior experience in customizing OpenMRS were contracted for this work. The modules include trainee management, lab and pharmacy management, clinic care notification, patient registration and clinic management.
The system is accessed by the Registration Clerk, Nurse, Doctor, Head Doctor, Laboratory User, Pharmacist and System Administrators. The user interfaces needs to have the usability aspect of the people going to ultimately use the system. The modules that we have developed in the system are trainee management, lab and pharmacy management, clinical care notification, patient registration and clinic management.
To do this we have designed a complete, integrated solution to manage any healthcare centers (public and private hospitals, clinics, etc).
The system is accessible to Registration Clerk, Nurse/Ward Nurse, Doctor, Head Doctor, Laboratory User, Pharmacist and System Administrators with roles specific user interface like Dashboard, Find Patient Records, Search Patient, Electronic Medical Record, Bed Management, Patient Visit Status, Hospitalization Ticket Status, Laboratory Test, Admitted Patients, Capture Patient Vital Signs, Patient Registration, Pharmacy, Inventory Dashboard and Report Management
1. Customized patient registration process: We have customized the patient registration process as HSU (Health Service User) registration. With 7 step HSU registration flow hospitals are able to gather maximum information of the HSU to provide him better and more focused Health Services
- Step 1: Defining Legal Basis
- Step 2: HSU Demographic Information
- Step 3: Rehabilitation program information
- Step 4: Consent form: Digital or prefilled paper form
- Step 5: Confirm Consent with Digital Signature
- Step 6 : Add HSU picture
- Step7: Save Registration and schedule Initial assessment
2. Assessment Process : The system is enabled to run different kind of assessment required by hospitals before staring any treatment.
a. Initial Assessment
b. Financial Assessment
c. Service Plan Creation
A. Intial Assesment Flow : We have created various assessment forms to capture maximum information of the patient suffering .
B. Financial Assessment Flow: After the initial assessment and treatment goal setting hospitals do the financial assessment of the patient. System help them to run the initial financial assessment of the patient to check the paying capability of the patient in case patient is capable of paying the cost for the treatment then they create the basic service plan. Incase patient is not able to pay the cost then patient is kept in the support waiting list and after a period of time secondary financial assessment is been done to check for financial support and if got the aid create the service plan.
C. Creating Service Plan: Once the initial assessment and financial assessment are performed, basic service plan is been created with tentative bed allocation for HSU with an option to add clinical consent from the patient.
3. Auto-added Scheduling list and prioritization : System does auto prioritization of patients on the basis of their Distance, Age, Gender, Admitted, Waiting List and does auto scheduling of the appointment .
4. Bed management : We have helped ICRC with comprehensive bed management module . This module helps hospital administration a real time bed state view of the bed . It supports real-time recording of Admission, Discharge and Transfer (ADT) and automatically update. With the real time view of bed blocks and availability it provides ease to allocate and de-allocate bed for patient and its care giver.
A team of implementation consultants performed the requirement gathering and analysis activities and shared detailed implementation plan illustrating:
- Workflows and process redesign
- Super user training
- End user Training
Since ICRC runs different programs to ensure that people affected by conflict can get basic health care that meets universally recognized standards. We helped them with customized workflows as per their need. We have customized Patient registration process, entire assessment and service plan process.
After getting the EMR at place, we implemented other modules like Dashboard, Bed Management, Hospitalization Ticket Status, Laboratory Test, Admitted Patients, Capture Patient Vital Signs, Patient Registration, Pharmacy, and Inventory Dashboard. We developed the customized modules for analytics and reporting which helped them in better decision making and improved patient care.
Once the implementation was over we have integrated the openMRS based hospital management system with Oddoo and DHIS2 .
Implementation of the HMIS is not the solution for all the challenges faced by the country. Educating stake holders and users about the standard practices and the implemented system was also very important. Once the system was implemented at both the levels polyclinic and hospitals we identified the user groups and conducted the training session to make the available workforce comfortable and compatible to the Information technology.